The cities of Ulm and Neu-Ulm are divided by the river Danube. Since 1810, Ulm belongs to the Bundesland (State) Baden-Württemberg. It is located on the left bank of the Danube, while its former suburb, Neu-Ulm (now a town in its own right), lies on the other side of the river, and belongs to Bavaria. Compared to Neu-Ulm, Ulm is an old city that is characterized by a mixture of relics from the city’s days as a free city of the Holy Roman Empire and very modern, contemporary architecture. The city combines the past and the present, there is the romantic Fisherman’s and the Tanners’ Quarter with their old houses, little alleyways and an air of bygone medieval times; you’ll also find modern twists to the city too such as the post-modern townhouse next to the gothic Münster or the historical market square housing the modern city library in the form of a glass pyramid.
In the Middle Ages, Ulm was a very prosperous city; it used to be a centre of important trading routes and it was well known for the manufacture of linen and fustian. Since the industrial and commercial expansion in the mid-20th century Ulm has become the economic centre of the area.
Some famous people were born in Ulm, most notably perhaps scientist Albert Einstein and the German actress and singer Hildegard Knef.