Built in honour of Mary, the patroness of the Cathedral and the city, this one of the most beautiful exhibits of medieval architecture in northern Europe
With beginnings dating back to the ninth century, the site of the current Cathedral Of Our Lady has been a place of worship for Catholics of the city for over 1,000 years. It wasn't until 1352 however, that the construction of the church in its current form began, finally ending 170 years later in 1521, only to be destroyed by fire just 12 years after its completion, in 1533.
During the following years and centuries, the cathedral went through more turmoil, destruction and rebirth. In the seventeenth century the world-famous baroque artist Peter Paul Rubens contributed works to the cathedral which remain on display today.
The final, major restoration project was completed in 1993 to leave the beautiful cathedral in the excellent condition in which it can be found today. It is now home to the current catholic congregation who actively worship there, and also to a museum which attracts hundreds of thousands of visitors each year.