The exact origins of Brasov are not known, but there is a definite mention of a settlement in the area in an ancient German document, where it is referred to as Terra Saxonum de Barasu (translates as Saxon Land of Baras).
It was not until 1918, when Transylvania became part of Romania, that the region became affiliated with the State of Romania. Following both World Wars, the area saw an increase in the numbers of Germans fleeing to neighbouring countries. This continued immediately after the Second World War, when the city became communist and many inhabitants travelled back to Germany to escape the regime.
During the 1950s, the city was named Orasul Stalin, after the Soviet leader, Joseph Stalin. This name disappeared in 1960 when the communist regime loosened its ties with Moscow.